Amazon Banner

Monday, March 16, 2009

Featured Artist - The Empty Nest

- What’s your name and where are you from?

My name is Janet Metzger and I am from New York, but live in Warrenton,Va.

-What is your shop name and what does it mean to you?

My shop name is The Empty Nest so named because my two handsome sons are on their own (I miss them, they make me laugh)

- What websites do you sell on how did you decide on which ones?

For now I sell on Etsy at theemptynest.etsy.com, I found it by accident

- How long have you been crafting?

I have been creating treasures all my life and got serious back in the 80's

-Tell me any interesting things about you that you would like to share.

I am the first girl in a family of eleven. Was born in Tarrytown,NY on Sleepy Hollow Lane ...yup THAT Sleepy Hollow

-What do you sell in your shop?

I sell a very eclectic mix of handsewn, handpainted and handknitted creations

- Tell us about your crafting space.

I work from a home studio that my wonderful husband set up for me. I have a table for painting and sewing, lots of shelves for all my beautiful fabrics. I have a television, DVD player for movies and my indispensable Ipod dock. My husband teases that if I had a litter box and a refrigerator, I would never have to come out.

-Do you belong to any guilds, teams or other indie craft organizations?

Not yet a member of any org. pretty much stay in space and create

-Where do you find inspiration?

My inspiration is my life around me...where I live, my friends, the birds at my many feeders, music...everything

-Tell me a bit about your creative process

Usually a piece of fabric or felted sweater will tell me what it wants done to it by it's feel or texture and color. When I paint it's the pictures in my mind dictate what comes from my brush.


- Where have you learned to do what you do?

Mom taught me to crochet, Google to knit, Nancy Tribolet to paint and myself to needle felt


-What is your favorite item in your shop right now?

My favorite item is my Hostess apron featured in Apronology magazine http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20921801


- What is your favorite part of your craft?

The doing part and seeing the results


- What is your least favorite part?

Love it all...well maybe the cleanup


-How did you get started with your craft?

It has been so long I no longer remember


-What makes your shop unique?

Unique for my one of a kind offerings and beautiful fabrics and textures


-What advice do you have for other independent crafters just starting out?

My advice is stop thinking about and go for it!


-Where else can we find you on the web?

My blog is http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/
Featured on http://chattyhomemaker.blogspot.com/

Was featured on www.bloomacious.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Desiree. Any extra exposure is appreciated by us home studio ladies (and gentleman). Good luck with your beautiful jewelry. Have a great day...Janet

    ReplyDelete