Amazon Banner

Monday, April 20, 2009

Featured Artist - Ninja Jenn

- What is your shop name and what does it mean to you?

Ninja Jenn - it's something my friends have always called me (LOL). I can get myself into some funny situations, as I am totally clumsy and eccentric (which is a dangerous combo!), but somehow I always manage to "save myself" just in time. One day a friend called me a "Ninja of Chaos" and the Ninja part has just stuck...

- What websites do you sell on how did you decide on which ones?

Artfire http://ninjajenn.artfire.com/
Etsy http://ninjajenn.etsy.com/
ShopHandmade http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Ninjajenn
and Made it Myself http://www.madeitmyself.com/user/ninjajenn.aspx
I started out on Etsy, but I was looking for something a little more welcoming and fun... thank God I found artfire! I just recently started selling on the other two... mostly just to try a few new venues out. My heart definitely lies with Artfire, though.

- How long have you been crafting?

Essentially all my life...but i've only been selling for about 10 years

- Tell me any interesting things about you that you would like to share.

I am totally quirky. I keep really strange hours. I love people. I used to run a bar. I used to be a real estate broker. I love music. I'm a car dancing fool. I laugh ALL the time. My family is SO very important to me. I've gone to the same church my entire life and I still love it there (even though i've tried all the major religions... and some minor ones... over the last 30 years LOL).

- What do you sell in your shop?

Mostly jewelry. I use recycled materials whenever I can. I love using resin on everything. I am about to list a few new things, though, like magnets and trinket boxes.

- Tell us about your crafting space.

Well, technically I have a "studio" set up in my home... but it's a constant work in progress LOL. The reality is that I craft all over the house... and all over my friends' houses... and all over my mom's house... well... you get the picture... LOL

- Do you belong to any guilds, teams or other indie craft organizations?

I just got accepted to my first guild ever - the Fairweather Friends Guild on Artfire

- Where do you find inspiration?

Everywhere. I love to roam through craft stores and thrift stores trying to find things I can breathe new life into... and I simply ADORE the hardware store... I can think of a million and one uses for all the stuff in Home Depot! LOL

- Tell me a bit about your creative process

Mostly it's a crafting free-for-all LOL... I grab a ton of stuff, drink a lot of coffee, and just go to town... there's really no rhyme or reason to it! I just let the creativity flow and hope for the best!

- Where have you learned to do what you do?

Mostly I am self-taught. I've always been that kid that took everything apart just to put it back together... and that has run over into my creative life. I love to buy mass-marketed things, rip them to pieces to find out how they were put together, and try to make one my way... hopefully better as well! I constantly read everything I can about crafting, arts, music... so a lot of what I read spills into my creating too.

- What is your favorite item in your shop right now?


I love everything in my shop, but currently I am in liking my domino pendants a whole lot...

- Why is it your favorite?

A friend found me these wonderful vintage pressman dominos at an estate sale, and it took me forever to decide what to do with them... Now that I have found a use for them, I love them far more than I thought I would! http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=ViewListing&product_id=107607

- What is your favorite part of your craft?

I love taking something that someone else didn't want and breathing new life into it... it makes me feel good to know that I am keeping things "in the cycle" and doing my part to help our environment

- What is your least favorite part?

Paperwork... I am NEVER caught up on organizing my purchase receipts... I don't think it will EVER happen tbh LOL

- How did you get started with your craft?

My family is a crafty family in general... we are always making stuff in one way or another... whether it's sewing, cooking, painting, whatever. It’s just in my blood I guess...

- If you sell on more than one site which is your favorite and why?

Artfire... BY FAR! I LOVE the community there, and the listing process is hands down the easiest I have found

- What makes your shop unique?

NINJAS! lol... seriously though... I like to think I’m what makes it unique... I try to give the best service and product to each of my customers, and I always try to make each buyers experience unique in and of itself...

- What advice do you have for other independent crafters just starting out?

Do what you love! Don’t worry who else is doing what, or what they are selling or not selling... just pour your heart into your art and the rest will fall into place!

- Where else can we find you on the web?

Facebook, MySpace, just about anywhere... I am an internet kinda gal! ;0)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful works Ninja Jenn and wonderful interview! - CT
    http://www.ctjewelrydesign.com

    ReplyDelete